An ultrasound technician is a professional who performs body scans using sound wave to produce visual images of tissues, organs and blood flow inside the body. Going by the data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for ultrasound technicians and their salary is on a steady rise. As the demand for the career increases, so is the salary. Currently, the ultrasound technician salary ranges from $45,000 and $89,000 annually.
The Salary That A Ultrasound Technician Earns Depends On A Number Of Factors Including :-
- Education and experience – Just like in any other field, the more educated and experienced the technician is, the higher the pay.
- Area of Specialization – Different areas of specialization earn better than others. According to data collected by Bureau of Labor Statistics, ultrasound technicians specializing in cardiac ultrasound earn more than others.
- Facility of Employment – Ultrasound Technician Salary varies from one institution to another. Data has shown that those working in outpatient care centres, colleges, universities, specialty hospitals, and professional schools earn more than technicians working in other facilities.
- City – The city that a technician works in greatly determines the salary. In the United States, best salaries are offered in these cities: Tucson, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, New York city, Phoenix, Kansas city, Orlando, Miami, and Las Vegas. From the data, we can deduce that an ultrasound technician earns more in larger, popular cities.
A career as an ultrasound technician is an interesting one and its demand is on the rise. This means that when you are through with school you are guaranteed of getting a job. The school that you attend greatly impacts your career; therefore, be careful when choosing your learning institution.
Find Best Ultrasound Technician Schools Today (It’s FAST & FREE – 3 Steps Only)
To be safe only study in an accredited institution. The college or university should be accredited by the relevant institution to offer the ultrasound program. To prepare yourself for the job market, join an institution that not only provides you with coursework, but also offers clinical rotations that give you the necessary experience.
Ultrasound Technician Other Job Titles With Salary
Just like other careers, the ultrasound technician position has many titles that vary depending on the position of the professional and area of specialization. Every job title has its unique level of education and area of specialization. It also has a different salary. The senior positions attract a higher ultrasound technician salary.
Let us now look at the salaries that go with the different job titles:
- Chief Ultrasound Technologist Salary – As a chief ultrasound technologist you will be responsible for overseeing the other ultrasound technologists. You will also be required to ensure that the ultrasound services are up to standard. You will be working closely with physicians, technologists and other support staff. As a chief ultrasound technologist you will receive a salary of as high as $89,000.
- Ultrasound Technologist Salary – An Ultrasound Technologist is a professional who undertakes daily sonographic scanning. The professional also coordinates tests, records the test results, and prepares and maintains the patient records. It’s also the role of the technologist to calibrate and ensure that the sonography devices are in good working condition. As of January 1, 2018, ultrasound technologist salary ranged between $64,000 and $77,000.
- Surgical Technologist Salary – A surgical technologist ensures that the surgical equipment is ready and well maintained. Before operation, he/she is responsible for setting up the necessary equipment. He/she must be present in the surgery room and hands the necessary instruments to the doctor to ensure that surgeries run flawlessly. Surgical Technologists attract salaries of up to $42,000.
- Radiologic Technologist Salary – From the name, a radiologic technologist is a professional who delivers radiation diagnostics and treatments. The professional should not only capture the body images, he/she is also responsible for educating the patient about the radiation waves. Since he/she has the necessary information, he is also responsible for protecting the patient from harmful rays. A radiologic technologist gets a salary of $55,000 per year.
- Medical Technologist (ASCP) Salary – A medical technologist supervises medical technicians. He/she is also responsible for collecting samples and analyzing them for abnormalities. The professional may also sit with experts and help in figuring out patient problems. He/she is also responsible for ensuring that the lab equipment are in good condition and are giving accurate results. Medical technologist salary is $64,000.
- Chief Radiologic Technologist Salary – The chief radiologic technologist oversees the radiologic services. He/she also evaluates the quality and accuracy of X-ray images made by radiologic technologists. He/she also gives assignments to relevant technologists. The professional also gives recommendations on new equipment that may be required in the facility. As of January 1, 2018, chief radiologic technologist salary ranged between $57,000 and $87,000.
- Chief MRI Technologist Salary – The chief MRI technologist oversees the resonance department, evaluates the quality and accuracy of MRIs and ensures that the safety standards are observed. The professional also assigns work to junior technicians. If new equipment is needed, the chief MRI technologist offers recommendations of the best to buy. Chief MRI technologist salary ranges from $74,000 to $88, 500.
- CAT scan technologist salary – A CAT scan technologist undertakes abdominal, gynecological and retroperitoneal scans. The professional also directly interacts with patients where he/she obtains the patients’ medical records, explains to the patients about the standard procedures, and addresses any issues that patients maybe having. The salary of a CAT scan technologist ranges from $59,500 to $72,000.
- Chief Diagnostic Imaging Operations Technologist Salary – The chief diagnostic imaging operations technologist directs the operations of the imaging department. The professional also supervises any new procedures and ensures that the necessary protocols are followed. He is also the custodian of the department supplies, materials and equipment. As of January, 1, 2018 the salary of the professional ranged between $80,000 and $100,000.
- Chief Nuclear Medicine Technologist Salary – The chief nuclear medicine technologist acts as an administrative oversight for the entire nuclear medicine department. The professional also comes up with the technical policies. He/she is also responsible for implementing the policies. It’s also the responsibility of the professional to ensure that the department devices are well used and maintained. The median salary of a chief nuclear medicine technologist is $88,000.
As you can see from the different job titles there are different areas that you can offer your services as an ultrasound technician. With the estimated 48% increase in demand for ultrasound technicians, it’s without a doubt that many great things lie ahead. If you feel that you are meant to be an ultrasound technician, find a reputable, accredited institution and register.
When it comes to specialization, you should specialize in an area that you love and feel comfortable in. While some specialties have better ultrasound technician salary than others, your choice shouldn’t be informed by the paycheck. There is no point of being caged in a high paying specialty that you aren’t passionate of.